Friday, September 29, 2006

Sorry I haven't been writing much lately, not much has happened. I've just been working a lot, gearing up for our test screening next week. A bit of side news, DOA: Dead or Alive has been pushed back AGAIN, this time to december, probably another move will happen for a jan/feb release. Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait forever until my first feature credit can be seen on the screen. But Alphadog seems pretty set with a Jan release, how many chicks am I going to pick up in January if both films come out then? Answer: tons!

Here's the deal, ever since I've joined the editing union I've sort of been celebrating & partying like all my life goals have been completed. In truth I don't have anymore "short term goals". I haven't set any... So I think that's why I've been in a funk, kinda lonely, kinda depressed lately. I need to set my sight on what I want to accomplish next. I'm really getting ansty to make a new movie, a feature, I'm done with short films. I'm going to start writing my long delayed, long talked about movie, for real this time, starting next weekend. I'm ready to tackle it. Hopefully I'll get an outline done, start writing a draft, probably have some time off in january to finish or rewrite it and then start wondering how to make the film become a reality. If that fails to work, I have a few backup plans--mainly two scripts that people are writing for me and come next summer I should have an idea of which one I want to make happen. So that's what's going on with me, the scheme of my dreams, so to speak.



I've become obsessed with rare-independent-experimental-explotation director Fredric Hobbs. He did a couple movies, mainly The Godmonster of Indian Flats about a mutated sheep and a zany town stuck in the past. While, normally I love so-bad-their-good movies, I think his movies, while not great, have really powerful moments and crazy shit that's interesting a la, David Lynch. It's kind of hypnotic. But on the other hand, Godmonster, isn't good. The first half is very dull and hard to follow. Hobbs has 4 features recorded all through late 60's early 70's but Godmonster is the only one "released on dvd". Anyways, last night I watched Roseland, his art-hippie-orgy movie and it was really awesome. I loved it. It was a little heavy on the soft-core-B&W-boob shots, the story and characters are amazing. Unique for sure. Basically the plot revolves around a man with steve zisu-eque beard in a hospital because of his fantasies of orgys. He's obsessed with a specific risque painter and even more specifically the painters work which features a rose coming out of a young girl's ass (hence the name of the film Roseland). The main character starts to have imaginary conversations with the painter, decked out in cartoon 17-century clothing. All and all the movie's awesome. I'm really itching to get ahold of Hobb's lost film Troika, which pretty much cieces to exsist execpt for a 1969 review from the NY times. It's supposedly about an eight foot tall bug who is followed around by blue people or something like that. It's one of my duties in life, to fund a search for a print of that film.

Have I gone off enough on Fredric Hobbs? I think so.

Tonight is Movie Night. I hope people show up. It'll be great either way, because Baction Movies are awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home